What is Juneteenth?
Know your history.
Juneteenth, also known as Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day, is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with the news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Juneteenth today celebrates African American freedom and achievement while encouraging continuous self-development and respect for all cultures.
The Southwest Louisiana (SWLA) Juneteenth Committee's mission is to commemorate the ending of slavery in the United States by celebrating the joys of liberty, educating the community about African American heritage, and by promoting positive cultural interaction. Every year, the SWLA Juneteenth Committee hosts various events in honor of the Juneteenth (June 19th) Holiday, including the SWLA Juneteenth Music Festival.
- Jun 08, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMDowntown Convention Center, 124 S Buchanan St, Lafayette, LA 70501, USA
- Jun 09, 9:00 AM – 10:30 AMLafayette International Center, 735 Jefferson St, Lafayette, LA 70501, USA
- Jun 16, 5:30 PM CDTDowntown Convention Center, 124 S Buchanan St, Lafayette, LA 70501, USAThe Southwest Louisiana Juneteenth Committee is excited to bring back the Juneteenth Pageant. We are happy you and / or your young person is a potential contestant in the AWESOME Pageant. We see this as an opportunity to shine the spotlight on our AMAZING young people. We welcome all females between
- Jun 17, 7:00 AM – 9:00 AMThe Historic Heymann Park, 1500 S Orange St, Lafayette, LA 70501, USA
- Jun 17, 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM CDTThe Historic Heymann Park, 1500 S Orange St, Lafayette, LA 70501, USA